graPHIGS PostScript output ?

Ronald S Woan woan at nowhere
Sat Mar 30 00:51:55 AEST 1991

In article <IVAN%NEPJT.91Mar28150505 at nepjt.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ivan at nepjt.ncsu.edu (Ivan Maldonado) writes:
>The only way we're now able to get PostScript output from our
>rs6000/graPHIGS displays has been through an "X window screen dump",
>by piping commands as:
>
>xwd | xpr -device ps -out somefile.ps
>
>However, the actual hardcopy ends up "very ugly" (i.e., very coarse
>definition plus the x-window border around it).  Anyone familiar with
>this that can recommend an alternate route ?

Well one alternative that works well for me is to use Jeff Poskanzer's
PBMPLUS (available in the contrib directory of expo.lcs.mit.edu or
from the X11R4 tape distribution) package and the following
incantation:

xwd|xwdtopnm|ppmtopgm|pgmtops >somefile.ps

which outputs a nice grayscale image... Skipping the pgm conversion
and using ppmtops would give a nice color EPS file, but some of us
aren't lucky enough to have color PS printers.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan at cactus.org or woan at austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +