Any good Fortran Complilers for AmigaDOS or Amiga UNIX??

Travis Bissett tbissett at nstar.rn.com
Wed Apr 3 12:55:56 AEST 1991

lindner at ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Curt Lindner) writes:

> I'm looking for a relatively bug-free compiler for either AmigaDOS or
> the Amiga implementation of UNIX.

While I've never used it personally, I have known people who have used
Absoft's FORTRAN compiler for AmigaOS and have heard only positive things.
Of course, these people are comparing with their experiences on mainframe
minicomputers. Absoft FORTRAN apparently retains all the nice touches of a
mainframe environment and produces efficient, stable code. And, it's been
available for a number of years and I expect it to be fairly mature. I've
just downloaded a small public domain FORTRAN compiler but I haven't had a
chance to try it out yet. If oyu are interested drop me a reminder note and
I'll report on it letting you know if I thought it worthwhile. BTW, in case
you are wondering whether the Amiga can handle serious FORTRAN codes, Jim
Locker (with the AFIT BBS in Dayton, Ohio) ported the PD source of Argonne
Lab's MATLAB to the Amiga, as well as PCSPICE. I've enjoyed MATLAB and found
his port to be bug free.

The above opinions are mine only, and I'm not a true expert on the subject,
nor am I connected in any way with any hardware or software Amiga supplier.
Really! ;-)

Travis Bissett -- tbissett at nstar.rn.com

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett at nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines