Cross development

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Fri Apr 5 11:51:51 AEST 1991

rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
> Is there or will there ever be crossdevelopment tools on Amiga UNIX?

(I assume you mean AmigaDOS cross development.)  Not in the current
release.  This is something I've wanted myself since before I was
working for Commodore, so it's quite likely I'll get around to it one
of these days.

> 	Will there be an AmigaDOS filesystem added to the VFS? It'd be
> 	nice to mount the AmigaDOS partition and crosscompile to it.

It sure would, and this is a likely future enhancement, too.

> 	Also, are their AmigaDOS programming library equiv's on Amiga UNIX?

No.  There have already been good explanations of this in this group;
basically any non-trivial Amiga software uses such a wide variety of
OS functions (from exec and devices to Intuition) that running even
simple graphics code would essentially require a complete emulation of
the whole Amiga OS.

> 	I.e. can I write one set of code to access video and audio that
> 	will work on both OS's?

Sure, use X.  :-)

>				If not, is there any plans to develop
> 	such librarys?

We are looking into various standard graphics libraries, (GKS, PHIGS,
etc.) and hopefully one will be available for both Unix and AmigaDOS.

>		       While I'm at it, can I currently access all the
> 	video and audio hardware from a UNIX user level process?

Yes, if the process has the apropriate privileges.  That's not saying
that the existing drivers are willing to share that hardware with you.
But as an example, there is currently no audio device driver, and
someone wrote a user level hardware-poking sample player.  This isn't
intended to be used for "normal" purposes, but works for hacks, etc.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye,	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 goodbye, goodbye, goodbye."		ford at amix.commodore.com
 - Oingo Boingo, "Goodbye, Goodbye"	uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford at kenobi.commodore.com