What commercial end-user applications are exist NOW for the A300

James A. Crotinger jac at gandalf.llnl.gov
Fri Apr 5 02:41:19 AEST 1991

tbissett at nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:

> zebr360 at ut-emx.uucp (Jerry Heyman) writes:
> > Anyone want to speculate as to the requirement of the Lattice/SAS C compiler
> > requirement?
> >

> My guess is that Comeau found it expedient to use a pre-existing set of
> library and header files -- e.g. the Lattice libraries.

> Sound like a reasonable hypothesis?

  Comeau's C++ product is a CFRONT port (so is Lattice's, but Comeau's
is much newer [2.1 vs 1.2]). It translates C++ code to C. You still
need a C compiler to do the final phase. I can only speculate as to
why they require SAS C: Possibly because SAS C has already been tested
as a backend to an earlier version of CFRONT. CFRONT can produce some
gawd-awful C code and I've seen many C compilers choke when trying to
compile it.

  Does anyone know if the arrival of Comeau C++ for AmigaDOS has derailed
SAS's plan to market a new version of their C++ product? They had been
planning to release a native C++ compiler (one which compiled directly
to machine code) sometime in '91.

  Jim