I get some white hairs with gcc and sockets

David Miller - CATS davidm at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat May 25 01:20:25 AEST 1991

In article <5399 at cernvax.cern.ch> zofka at cernvax.cern.ch (milan zofka) writes:
|Hi,
|
|Two too bad things on my A3000 UXD for now.
|
|1)
|
|I just read few minutes before, how to link BSD applications with my
|    3000UXD. (gcc -I/ucbinclude... all the files was *quiet* OK but
|    now, no way to link my application).
|
|libsocket.so is giving me white hairs...
|Look:
|
|	gcc -L/usr/ucblib -O -DTTY -DGRAPHICS -DAMIGA -DDEBUG -DLDEBUG
|            -DFROMNET -DTONET -DDUMPSCREEN -DSHOWFIELDS
|            -DLIBDIR=\"/cern/local/lib/3270/\"
|            -DPROFILE=\"/cern/etc/map3270\"
|            -o p3270 telnet.o 3270.o curscr.o globals.o iomodule.o sizer.o
|               statusline.o parse.o finddef.o curses.o initscr.o cr_tty.o
|            -ltermlib -lsocket -lucb
|
|*** Error code 1 (bu21)
|
|Undefined			first referenced
| symbol  			    in file
|
|getnetconfig                        /usr/lib/libsocket.so
|inet_ntoa                           /usr/lib/libsocket.so
|endnetconfig                        /usr/lib/libsocket.so
|setnetconfig                        /usr/lib/libsocket.so
|
|ld: p3270: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to p3270
|
|make: fatal error.
|
|NOTE: I dont make any call of any of theses functions...

No, these functions are called by routines in the socket library.
What you're missing is the Network Support Library (-lnsl).  Add that
and you should get a clean link.

|2) About your documentation on your distribution tape:
|   I tried to download from tape to disk the "Full SVR4 documentation set"
|   of 15 Megs.... (yes, I did the uncompress | cpio of 3th part)
|   Just one meg of nice garbage data for elm and other not usable
|   things comes in my directory...
|
|   Where is this documentation? Was the European distribution of the
|   tapes bad ?  Does it only exist in the manual ;) ?

It sounds like your tape is hosed.   Did you contact the vendor where
you got the machine?  That should be your first step.

|================================================================
|Milan ZOFKA   zofka at cernvax.cern.ch  or mcsun!cernvax!zofka
|
|Working at European Center for Nuclear Research
|          (high energy physics, no atomic research)
|But working for Physics Department of Geneva's University

DavidM

--

DavidM			CATS - Commodore Applications and Technical Support
+1 215 431 9425		davidm at cbmvax.commodore.com
"Commodore Amiga 3000UX - Born to Run UNIX SVR4"