I get some white hairs with gcc and sockets

milan zofka zofka at cernvax.cern.ch
Fri May 24 18:31:15 AEST 1991

Hi,

Two too bad things on my A3000 UXD for now.

1)

I just read few minutes before, how to link BSD applications with my
    3000UXD. (gcc -I/ucbinclude... all the files was *quiet* OK but
    now, no way to link my application).

libsocket.so is giving me white hairs...
Look:

	gcc -L/usr/ucblib -O -DTTY -DGRAPHICS -DAMIGA -DDEBUG -DLDEBUG
            -DFROMNET -DTONET -DDUMPSCREEN -DSHOWFIELDS
            -DLIBDIR=\"/cern/local/lib/3270/\"
            -DPROFILE=\"/cern/etc/map3270\"
            -o p3270 telnet.o 3270.o curscr.o globals.o iomodule.o sizer.o
               statusline.o parse.o finddef.o curses.o initscr.o cr_tty.o
            -ltermlib -lsocket -lucb

*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Undefined			first referenced
 symbol  			    in file

getnetconfig                        /usr/lib/libsocket.so
inet_ntoa                           /usr/lib/libsocket.so
endnetconfig                        /usr/lib/libsocket.so
setnetconfig                        /usr/lib/libsocket.so

ld: p3270: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to p3270

make: fatal error.

NOTE: I dont make any call of any of theses functions...

Any proposition on how to link it
(CBM I just sent the sources to nick (and dick) at cbmnlux for the same
reason. If you want to look at the code, just ask them the sources, it's
a 3270 terminal emulator, just fine for connexions to IBM/VM machines)...

2) About your documentation on your distribution tape:
   I tried to download from tape to disk the "Full SVR4 documentation set"
   of 15 Megs.... (yes, I did the uncompress | cpio of 3th part)
   Just one meg of nice garbage data for elm and other not usable
   things comes in my directory...

   Where is this documentation? Was the European distribution of the
   tapes bad ?  Does it only exist in the manual ;) ?

Milan ZOFKA   zofka at cernvax.cern.ch  or mcsun!cernvax!zofka

Working at European Center for Nuclear Research
          (high energy physics, no atomic research)
But working for Physics Department of Geneva's University