Release date?

Richard Buck buck at amix.commodore.com
Fri May 31 07:40:55 AEST 1991

amiga at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:

>   I STRONGLY agree that commodore should set up an area on the net where
> they can distribuit the UNIX 2.0 fixes. I say this for two reasons:
>   1) Amiga Unix 1.1 is bugy as hell!

Sorry.  We probably fell into the traditional trap of putting so much into
2.0 that we left 1.1 sitting out there for too long.  There is NO WAY to
distribute 2.0 fixes on the net; it's a whole new kernel, a new X distribution,
a new way to link device drivers to the kernel, many new programs, many
bug fixes, a new package installation procedure, a polished directory
structure, and etc etc etc.  I have installed similar versions of Release
4 UNIX from various PC vendors, and our 2.0 is a LOT cleaner and more
complete than the others I have seen, plus it has many neat extras.
I would like to make this available as simply as possible, but the only
possible distribution is a new tape.

The bug upsetting most people is the serial driver, which is actually a
kernel problem; there's no way to distribute this fix without replacing
your entire system.  That's why there's been no quick 1.2 patch; fixing
the important problems pretty much required a major 2.0 upgrade.

>   2) Because it is so buggy I think the upgrade should be free (excluding
>      the cost of the distribution). Distrubtion on the internet would
>      give imediate aid to those Unix owners who are bottlenecked by version
>      1.1.

The $50 we charge, given the tape, disks, and books, IS the cost of the
media.

> I am selling the Unix machines at the local dealer and I am having a hard
> time explaning that "well as soon as Unix 2.0 comes out that will be fixed.
> Of course I don't know when it will be out, but trust me".

It's in beta, it will be frozen and in acceptance testing next
month, and it will be out this summer - as close to the middle of the
summer as we can get.

--
		Richard Buck, (215) 344-3019, buck at amix.commodore.com  (5/91)