A/UX external disk

Brett Taylor brett at rtech.rtech.com
Sat Jun 25 14:27:26 AEST 1988

I wanted to post a follow up on an apparent problem with external
disks.  As a quick review I have a Mac 2 running A/UX on an internal
80Mb drive with 3 80Mb external disks.

I have run several tests and have come up with the follow
observations.  When running a disk intensive program in the background
and light disk activity in the foreground the system will hang on some
kind of disk access collision.

I have scanned the disks for bad blocks and found nothing.  I have
written several programs that cause heavy disk activity but only one
disk at a time.  As far as I can tell the problem only happens in the
above cause.

My guess since I don't have driver code or test equipment, This could
be similar to the SUN connect/disconnect hardware bug in the early
3/50's.

Any comments are welcome and please do so.  I would like to work this
out if it is possible.