A/UX hangs.

Ken Mandelberg km at emory.uucp
Mon Oct 3 04:22:28 AEST 1988

My Mac II has recently started hanging. The console freezes (no tty
echo) and there is no response from the ethernet.  There is no panic,
just this hang. There is nothing much for me to do but hit reset, fix
the filesystem, and reboot again.  The hang can occur anytime from a
few minutes after boot, to a  few days later, although the uptime seems
to be decreasing. There is no pattern as to what it is doing at the
time, though often there is nothing going on other than the usual
background system processes. One time, it even hung in single user mode
while it was asking me if I wanted a fsck.

Is this familiar to anyone?

What diagnostic tools are available. How do I induce a crash dump?
Although this is a System V port, there seems to be no crash program
like on the 3B2. If I manage to get a dump is adb my main tool? Are
there adb scripts for kernel debugging somewhere?

Are there hardware diagnostics somewhere that I can use to test the
hardware?

Sorry for all the questions.

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km at mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP