Printing in A/UX

Tim Tessin tjt at samedi.tis.llnl.gov
Sat May 27 05:52:48 AEST 1989

A/UX 1.1 claims to support printing from Mac programs running
under A/UX.  However, you need third party hardware, and god only
knows what other voodo to get it working right.  I have solved
my problem using another approach.  Using some public domain
software (macps) I got from the net, I make a postscript file using
<Command>-F in the print menu and massage it so I can just
feed it to my printer spooler.  <Command>-F produces a
"mac" Postscript file, from which I strip off the first 256 bytes.
"macps" converts the carrage returns to unix newlines and inserts
the LaserPrep stuff.   I have a script to do all this work to
make life easier.  It works great except for a couple of things.

First, the <Command-F> produces a file "PostscriptN" in /usr/lib/mac
(the "system" folder equivalent on A/UX).  Is there any way
to cause this to go anywhere else and maybe with a different name?

Second, psrev won't reverse the pages of the resulting postscript
file.  Well, it reverses the pages, but the file won't print.  Things
appear to be identical except for the ordering of page sections in
the file.  Anyone know why the printer gives up after "psrev"
massages it?

I suggest this method to anyone on a network sharing UNIX postscript
printers and wants to print Mac documents.  BTW MS Word 4.0 runs great
under A/UX.

I people can't get a hold of macps from the net archives, let me know
via Mail.  If I get enough requests I'll repost it.

Tim Tessin - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PHONE: (415) 423-4560

ARPA:  tjt at tis.llnl.gov
UUCP:  {ames,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!tjt