Hard Disk Space

Vicki Brown vlb at magic.apple.com
Tue Aug 28 12:14:04 AEST 1990

In article <981 at ncis.tis.llnl.gov> csnyder at lance.tis.llnl.gov (Carl Snyder) writes:
>hello,
>I am a novice unix user and have just received AU/X 2.0 and installed it for
>the first time.
>My problem is that I have an Apple 160mb SC hard disk and when I'm in the
>Finder it says that I have 39mb in the disk and only 12mb available.

I assume you mean these numbers are shown in the title bar for the / window.
They apply to the / filesystem: a total of 51 MB (39MB used, 12MB free,
ie. available).

If you have made a filesystem in the additional A/UX partition on your disk
(slice 3 assuming you used a canned partitioning scheme, i.e. /dev/dsk/c?d0s0
where ? is the SCSI ID of the disk), AND you have mounted that filesystem on
a directory under root, you will see different numbers when you open the
mount-point directory under the Finder.  For example, I have an 80MB hard disk,
with one filesystem, mounted at /d2.  The Finder tells me the / has 42,480K in
disk, 6,066K available.  It says /d2 has 45,335K in disk, 24,162 available.

If you did not yet make a filesystem on slice 3, you'll need to do so (The
partitioning programs do not do this), and you'll need to mount the filesystem.
See Chapter 4 of "Setting up Accounts and Peripherals", one of the manuals in
your A/UX Accessory kit.
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb at apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)