Hayes modem with A/UX

Mark Day mday at picasso.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Thu Aug 2 04:39:36 AEST 1990

I'm having a problem getting my Hayes-compatible modem to work properly with
A/UX.  The modem works fine underthe MacOS, so I'm fairly sure that the cabling
and hardware are OK.

However, tip seems to be unable to open the modem device
tip -l /dev/tty0 -s 1200 phone-number gives the following errors:

apple modem (write): I/O error
apple modem (ioctl) Bad file number
Can't close /dev/modem Bad file number
call failed
[EOT]

The "Setting up Accounts and Peripherals for A/UX" manual implies that no
setup is necessary for dialout modems, but that has not been my experience.

Does anybody have a copy of /etc/remote and /etc/dialup that works with
a Hayes 2400?  Are there any other configuration steps that I have missed?

Thanks for you help,

Need /etc/dialup, /etc/remote

Mark Day
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry		mday at zeno.mmwb.ucsf.edu
University of California, San Francisco		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
Voice: (415) 476-5326	FAX: (415) 476-0688