Prices, questions, etc.

Jordan Hayes jordan at Morgan.COM
Fri Aug 24 07:48:38 AEST 1990

Ok, so after chasing all over town (NYC no less!), I have determined
that there are no A/UX-capable dealers here, not even Computer Era, who
claims to be "the largest blah blah blah" ... so I found a mail-order
house in Vermont (Maya Computer, 800-541-2318) who would sell the
CD/ROM version for $630.  I have heard list $799, so I snapped it up.
Was this a good price?  I feel like i've already spent $500 of my own
time trying to find the damn thing, so unless you've heard of a guy who
will call me and sell it to me for $300, i'm almost not interested in
the answer ;-)

Is everyone else having an easy time getting A/UX?

Now for the other questions: which manual sets are needed?  I know this
$630 price includes the instalation bundle, and I have heard there are
3 manual sets (programmer, user, and sys admin kinda like bsd?), but
which ones are things that are not already on-line?  This same
mail-order house wanted $575 for what he called a "15 binder set" -- is
this all three bundles together?  Is this a good price?  Anyone have a
good dealer who would sell to me through the mail?

When I say "which are needed" I am including the fact that I have about
7 years experience running BSD/SunOS/Ultrix/etc. machines and I know my
way around.  Like, I don't need the troff tutorials, since I have BSD
manuals.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

/jordan