Coping with sdb...help!

brownrigg at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu brownrigg at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Nov 16 12:28:42 AEST 1990

To all you sbd gurus out there:

Suppose one has an app. that utilizes dynamic data structures, say a linked-
list, whose nodes will point to struct.s of varying type.  So are list's nodes
look like:

      Say   typedef struct LLNODE {
           struct LLNODE *successor;
           void          *object;
         }

Presumably the struct pointed to by object has info. in it that tells us
how to interpret it.

The problem I'm experiencing is apparently I can't use a typecast from within
sdb on *object, to examine it.  From other hints during program execution,
I know what type of struct *object is pointing to.  But I REALLY need to
be able to look at that memory in terms of the struct -- not just a collection
ofOA

--Am I overlooking something in the doc.s?
--Are there tricks people employ to get around this?
--Any suggestions?