How do I do newfs on an HD80SC with a 50 meg /root&/usr part?

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Thu Nov 1 10:20:44 AEST 1990

wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>[needs to repartition disk...]
>Hence I have embarked on the interesting trail of constructing a
>new Unix file system of the requisite size.  Let me reoucont what
>I've done so far.
>
>0.  do a find / -name "*" -print | cpio -ocB > /dev/rfloppy0 and
>    make back-ups of everything in the Mac partition.

Why did you do '-name "*"'? Won't that skip all files starting with "."?

>1.  Use Sash to set up new partitions:
>     51200 Kb /root&/usr slice
>      8192 Kb swap slice
>      3072 Kb escatology slice
>    ~17516 Kb Mac partition  [...]
>
>2.  Reload the system folder, Mac bin, escher, read_disk, escher,
>    and A/UX startup files from backups that I'd made.
>
>3.  while ( 1 ) { scratch head; hmmmm.... }
>
>4.  At this point I called Apple tech support for suggestions.  I
>had tried to do a newfs for rdsk/c0d0s0, but ran into the catch-22
>that there t'aint no /etc/disktab from which to get parameters.
>Tech support wasn't sure either, but suggested going with a mkfs
>for a Sys V file system.

Well, how about this: Do a mkfs on a floppy, chroot to it, and make an
etc directory, in which you put an fstab.

>I did a mkfs for a 102400 block file sysetem, and that seemed to
>work.  I think I am running into problems because the Sys V file
>system doesn't get along with some of the long names in the cpio
>archive from the original Berkeley file system.
>
>The A/UX dealer in the area is about a 50 mile drive from here, so
>I thought I'd like to do the restore myself (and get a file system
>education at the same time) if possible.  The other question is, "Is
>it possible to have anynthing other (i.e. smaller) than the 55 meg
>default /root&/usr partition size and still do the canned install?"

You can get by with about 45 MB, but I can't say exactly how much. This is
without the games but with the manuals.

BTW, I strongly recommend that you try to make a BSD FS. It really is much
faster. If my idea doesn't work, it might well be worth the time to go to
your dealer and get it done right. In fact, what with your cpio problem, you
probably don't have much choice in the matter...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis