Emacs 18.55 and AUX patches

Peter Espen pke@btr.com pke at public.BTR.COM
Tue Oct 9 03:34:26 AEST 1990

	I have been trying to compile emacs with the
emacs-18.55.aux.diffs patches from apple.com that I
got a while back.  I have run into a few problems
however.
	I am using gcc with Apple's as. I built gcc with
the gcc-as binaries and patches from Apple.com.
	When I first tried to compile the patched up emacs,
I got an error when compiling loadst.c on line 179

	something = something ? ( (struct passwd *) getpwuid(......

I got a compile error that said illegal typdef or typedef not defined.
I got past this by adding some additional options to the gcc command.
I used "gcc -DNOSTDHDRS -fstrength-reduce -fwritable-strings \
	-fpcc-struct-return -DAUX -DAUX2 -D_SYSV_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE \
	-g -O"

Later on I got an error when make was assembling allocatem.s. Apparently
if m68000 is defined, allocatem.s ends up being a generic piece of
assembly code, but 'as' just chokes on this.  I ended up over-riding
	#ifdef m68k
	#undef m68k
	#define m68000
in either m-macii.h, s-aux.h or config.h
so that m68k stays defined and a allocatem.s ends up being m68k
code instead of m68000 code. This worked and things passed along
OK.

When emacs was done building and dumping... I ran emacs and things
came up OK, but there are some problems.  When I try to open a file
with "C-x C-f path/filename" the first attempt comes back with an
error on the emacs minibuffer line that says something about "undefined
symbol: t", but then a second attempt to do the same thing works.
This very repeatable, it takes two attempt to open any file.

C-x C-s to save a file does not work at all, I get a cryptic emacs
lisp compile error. The  command apropos (C-h C-h A ) dies everytime
with a emacs error about error in byte-compile: pc=16.

As you can see, things are generally just screwy in emacs.

Do you have any suggestions or any possible reasons why the emacs
18.55 aux diffs are not making correctly with gcc-as? Are there any
additional patches I need to apply that I don't know about?

Your attention and help are greatly appreciated.

Peter Espen
pke at btr.com