building rn for A/UX 2.0

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Tue Oct 2 15:25:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep26.184104.27321 at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
>alexis at panix.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>rn does not like job control. In particular, when I resume a suspended rn:
>>>rn read error: Interrupted system call
>>>
>>>Caught an internal error--.newsrc restored
>I've seen this before occasionally on A/UX 1.1.  I've also seen it occasionally
>on an Encore Multimax running BSD4.2 and BSD4.3-tahoe.  Unless Apple software
>people have been sticking SysV-isms in the Encore kernel in the dead of night
>:-), I don't think this is an Apple-specific problem.

But it is. In particular, it's a failure to deal with 4.3 signals. That's
necessarily Apple's problem.

But, as I said, that's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I could
swear that it compiled fine under 1.1 _without_ adding in the set42sig() call
that I finally fixed it with. Also, there ought to be (and perhaps there is?)
a way to tell the compiler to fix that up for you, without messing with the
source. In fact, that's sort of what I expected the _SYSV_SOURCE define to do.
(Clearly, I'm not going to escape the man pages for much longer...)

---
Alexis Rosen
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis
alexis at panix.uucp