Run a Script on Startup-How??

Scott Roleson scott at hpsdde.hp.com
Tue Jan 22 11:38:15 AEST 1991

I'd like to have my MacIIci with A/UX run a script file on startup, if
a floppy with the script file exists in the floppy drive.  This file
would be run before any login, that is, I wouldn't have to type in a
login and password.  If the floppy isn't there, or the file doesn't exist,
then the startup would proceed normally.

I've worked with Unix machines before, as a user, but never as a superuser
or root.  I'm not sure how to proceed, so thought I'd see if anyone on the
net could point me in the right direction.  Even a reference to some book
or manual would be helpful.

Security isn't a concern.  This Mac isn't networked, and I'm probably the
only person who will be using it.

One thought I've had is to modify /etc/profile to check the floppy disk,
then run the script file if it finds it.  I'm not exactly sure how to do
this, however.  I'm also guessing that there might be a way to do this
earlier in the initialization process, interrupting the startup program
itself somehow.

Anybody got any ideas they would be willing to pass on??

-- Scott Roleson