NFS Client software needed

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Mon Jan 14 12:19:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan14.003905.700 at engin.umich.edu> kleinow at caen.engin.umich.edu (leonard kleinow) writes:
>Please tell me if this product exists:
>
>I need a thing that will let me choose NFS servers from the chooser,
>Specifically, a mac running A/UX connected to my other macs via AppleTalk,
>and to the rest of the world via Ethernet, as such:
>
>Unix world ---------- A/UX Mac ----------- Slew 'o Macs
>            Ethernet            AppleTalk
>
>The A/UX Mac exports stuff to the Unix world fine.  I'd love to be able
>to export it to the Slew 'o Macs, too.  If this does not exist yet, any
>opinions about its feasability will be welcome.

Well, NFS server redistribution  will not work. See for instance the
NFS RFC 1094, 3.1. A server is not allowed to let clients cross a server's
mount point.

For instance when an NFS client does a lookup on a directory on which the
server has mounted a file system, the client sees the *underlying directory*
instead of the mounted directory.

So you can't redistribute mounted clients as servers without having
to mount the original mountpoint (if this has changed in any of the
new specs about NFS, please correct me).

Then again nothing hinders to redistribute the information with
AppleShare, as with Personal AppleShare in System 7. This does
not work with A/UX 2.0 (or 2.0.1).

The best way to solve this just now is to use any of the commercial
NFS-AppleTalk gateways (such as Cayman or UShare), or wait for
any publicly available commercial MacOS NFS drivers.

Hope this helps,
Kent Sandvik, DTS

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo