Need recommendation for serial port card

Herb Weiner herbw at wiskit.rain.com
Thu May 23 14:58:16 AEST 1991

I need a serial port that will support both dial in and dial out UUCP and
interactive use.  This means that the port must support full hardware
handshaking (UUCP can't use software handshaking), and it must detect
loss of carrier detect, so that users are logged out if the line drops.

I'd be quite happy with serial drivers (for the Mac II fx running A/UX 2.0.1)
that use HSKi and HSKo for RTS and CTS, and GPi for Carrier Detect.
Unfortunately, Apple has apparently decided not to support GPi, since
it's not available on all models.  (Because of this, my fancy fx serial
ports will have to rot, and I'll have to install a third party card?)

Anyway, unless someone has a software driver that will support both
RTS/CTS and DCD, I'll need to get a serial card.  I'd prefer a card
with on board processor and/or DMA, so that I don't increase the overhead
on my system, compared with the fx serial ports.  I need a vendor that
will support the product, so I don't get stranded with an unusable card
(due to lack of drivers) the next time an A/UX software upgrade comes along.

Alexis' January MacUser article recommended the Taniwha Systems CommCard.
Unfortunately, Paul Campbell of Taniwha Systems reports that:
> Unfortunatly, we recently stopped selling the CommCard (production
> costs suddenly skyrocketed and we decided to quit while we were ahead)
> so I really can't help you

Any recommendations or other advice would be much appreciated.

Herb Weiner