NFS / Printer client questions

Dave Edmondson;E208 davide at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue May 14 23:37:55 AEST 1991

In <1991May12.161032.9798 at wam.umd.edu> mikec at wam.umd.edu (Michael D.
Callaghan) writes:
>1> Can MAC applications see the NFS mounted directories?

No problem.

>2> Can MAC applications print directly to a remote postscript printer
>   that's in A/UX's printcap file?

There are two choices.  A/UX Laserwriter by Ron Flax is a driver modified to
pipe the print job to a Unix command which can be specified in the chooser.
This is very neat but some people have had problems.

The release of CAP 6.0 contains a version by our own William Roberts which
allows use of the built in AppleTalk support on A/UX machines.  This lets you
run an lwsrv daemon which shows up in the chooser as a LaserWriter and spools
the job of to a unix printer.  This doesn't tie you to a particular driver but
it makes the ownership of the print jobs "root" unless you come up with a
scheme to start an lwsrv each time a mac session starts and kill it when it's
over.

See comp.protocols.appletalk for more about CAP.

Dave
David Edmondson                 ARPA: davide at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Dept of Computer Science        Tel: 071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)
Queen Mary & Westfield College  DoD#0777 Guzzi Le Mans 1000