Alternative ESIX manuals?

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Fri Aug 3 03:44:55 AEST 1990

In article <1263 at dialogic.UUCP>, paul at dialogic.com (The Imaginative Moron aka Joey Pheromone) writes:

> Also, a moan at *IX/386 vendors - why not produce docs that list the
> *differences* between your system (esp. device behaviour) and stock
> System V/386 - then we could buy (or you supply) the base set, along
> with your diffs.

We have been trying to get vendors to do custom versions of our pocket
references with changes for years.  We have custom printed references
for various vendors (Unisys, Motorola, Prime, SUN, SCO) but they have just
been cover changes like adding their logo.  SCO got the best deal as we
have a Xenix version that is based on their product.  The otheres get
a "this is sort of like your system" version.

Admittedly I have a vested interest in this idea but I think it would be
great if there was one "big, huge manual set" for UNIX in general and
then small guides like our command summaries for each specific version.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385