C news fast stdio fails regression test on 386/ix.

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Sat Aug 11 01:13:17 AEST 1990

In article <803 at hades.ausonics.oz.au> greyham at hades.ausonics.oz.au (Greyham Stoney) writes:
| We have about the processing power of a wet fish at our site, so I'd really
| like to be able to use C news's faster stdio functions.

| Has anyone else running ISC 386/ix noticed this problem, and is there any
| easy fix, or do I have to make to with the library stdio?.

  If you think the 386 has the power of a wet fish, think of all the
people running news on VAX 730, 750, 780 boxes, and Sun2. Anyway CPU
doesn't seem to be a problem, I just looked at 12 hours processing on a
386SX getting a full feed, and the total real time for all processes
running as news was 1951.58 sec, while the CPU was only 157.72. I see no
reason to worry about CPU at that rate, although a slow disk will eat
several hours of disk time.

  Oh, and this was with B news, a slow disk, and non-DBM history files
due to an install bug. Yes, it's a test system, at the moment it has no
usage in the world except running news and testing various o/s releases.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
 "This is your computer. This is your computer on OS/2. Any questions?"