"PANIC: kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E" msg in 386/ix 2.0.2 ?????

Jon Gefaell jon at savant.UUCP
Mon Jul 23 01:50:25 AEST 1990

In article <9480 at bunny.GTE.COM> jdg0 at GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>My machine has been crashing about twice daily for the last week or so.
>The msg in the subject line shows up with all the register contents just
>before it crashes.  I have contacted my vendor, they contacted ISC, and
>all they were able to tell me was that it the problem is a hardware
>error.  Now, I've run my diagnostics (I'm using an AT&T 6386E/33) and
>everything appears to be OK.  Does anyone have any idea of what a type
>0x0000000E error means?  This might help me to narrow down the
>alternatives.   Any pointers will be appreciated.  Thanks,

Well, I get the same panic when I boot the bootable install disk from
my ESIX (rev C) distribution on my AGI 33Mhz 386 box. It happens EVERY
time, and there has only been one way to aleviate the problem...

I set my bus speed for 8.33Mhz instead of 11Mhz, boot the disk, and all
works fine. Then, at the point when it reboots and you start back up with
the second disk of the base package, I set the bus speed back to 11Mhz and
never see the error again...

Strange, eh?

recap: I get the 0000000000000000000E :) error when my bus speed is 11Mhz
and I'm booting the base package installation disk. Lowering the bus speed
to 8.33Mhz 'cures' the problem.

Oh, I also got the E panic when I used to have a motherboard (Orchid) that
simply WOULD NOT run ESIX... (returned it for a full refund from Orchid
direct, it didn't work, but they made it right!)

Hope this has helped a tad... I don't think it's gonna work for you, but
it does seem to point out that: 1.) This error seems to be a catch all,
and/or 2.) These folks (vendors, manufacturers) can't problem solves them
selves out of a paper bag from the inside even with all the error messages
and register contents in the world... :(
--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+