Problem with News when patched at 14

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Sat Feb 27 09:47:56 AEST 1988

    I have been running News, patch-8 for many months. Yesterday I
patched up to #14, recompiled and replaced the old binaries. Everything
seemed to work. Old News was accessable, postnews worked, rnews did
it's thing, etc.  I'm in fat-city, right ?

WRONG !!

    I returned home from work tonight and find the hard disk thrashing
like crazy. It keeps looping on "sendbatch" to a site that theres no
News queued for. When I left for work the process numbers were at 1200,
9 hours later they're at 26000!  This baby has been cranking while I
was away. ANyway, this dudes spawning sendbatch's faster than I can kill
them.  I then do a "df", and guess what......all kinds of disk space
but ZERO inodes!!!  Yep, the old "I ate all the inodes trick".

    So I yanked out my backup tape of just before upgrading News (Thank
you God for letting me remember to backup) and restored everything to a
patch-level 8 state and its working smoothly again.

    I remember reading other horror stories of sites upgrading past
8. Were there ever any fixes ?  I mean, this happened within one day
and I've been running News "flawless" since last September. So I'm gonna
be real carefull before I try patch 14 again. The other thing is it
caused me to miss 500K worth of News. The news came in but it said it
couldnt exec compress because the News was garbled.

    Has anyone else experienced these woes ??  I'd be *real* interested
in a fix or solution to the above scenerio.

					Signed:

					Disenchanted with patches

					John  :-)

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john at uunet.UU.NET