uucp {bugs,features}

USENET maintenance usenet at soma.bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 20 04:47:09 AEST 1987

In article <3700001 at hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem at hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:
>I have some questions about uucp.  Here goes:
>
>	1.  Why do files that are to be sent by uucp have to have read
>	access by "other", even if they are owned by uucp?
UUCP does not know who to chown the files copied to once the copy is complete.
So, it owns them but allows everyone to read them so the person the files were
meant for can get them. Not very secure, but that's the biz.

>	2.  Why does uucp create files with mode 666, regardless of their
>	mode on the original machine?
The answer above applies here, too. I don't think there is a version of
UUCP that allows the mode of the copied file to be set by uucp once the
copy is complete.

>	3.  Why does uucp refuse to forward files to non-public directories?
This restriction is set by the uucp manager (or system manager) in the
/usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE file. UUCP can be told to do this. Most people don't
want to let uucp do this for security reasons. [It is a different file under
HoneyDanBer UUCP... I think it is called /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions, but I am
not sure.]
>						Dale McCluskey
>
>						{hplabs,ihnp4}!hpfcla!dalem

Stan	     uucp:{shell,rice,cuae2}!soma!sob       Opinions expressed here
Olan         domain:sob at rice.edu or sob at soma.bcm.tmc.edu   are ONLY mine &
Barber       CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)790-9004               noone else's.