Eagles on sc41 controller on 4.2BSD vax with NFS

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sun Jan 18 09:56:52 AEST 1987

In article <11 at aber-cs.UUCP> root at aber-cs.UUCP (vax) writes:
>WE are having problems using 'newfs' on some eagles
>that we have just had delivered attached to an sc41 Emulex
>controller. ... A Simple question is ' how many sectors should
>there be on our eagles'?? I beleive the hardware is set
>at 48 sectors per track.

The SC41/MS is an MSCP-compatible controller.  This means that it
will reserve one or two sectors per track for bad block replacement.
If the hardware is set to 48 sectors per track, the controller will
report 47 sectors per track in its On Line end message, where it
encodes the `geometry' of the drive.  The Get Unit Status end
message also includes the total usable size of the drive, in sectors.
This can be found in `ra_dsize' or `radsize' or whatever name it
has in your particular driver (see /sys/vaxuba/uda.c).

The 4.2BSD UDA50 (MSCP) driver has several bugs that will make it
act erratically on 780s, and may tie up a Unibus for long periods
on 750s (I forget).  The 4.3BSD driver is much improved, but still
does not tell you how big your disk is.  I have a replacement that
is *still* not ready for distribution.  Watch this space for future
announcements.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu