Decrypting Files Encrypted on Another Machine

Marc J. Champagne mchamp at wpi.wpi.edu
Sat Apr 8 01:31:49 AEST 1989

Assuming you try to copy the stuff over again and the 2 copies you
then have are identical, the problem is probably that one machine uses
a crypt routine with a SALT variation, and the other doesn't.

Consult the man pages on crypt on each system.  If you find that this
is the problem, then let me know and I'll send you more specific
instructions.

Hope this helps.
(NOTE: it's unlikely that the DES implementation on either machine is
non-standard, but some DES programs have been modified with the SALT
routines ; these can usually be disabled in a call to crypt on such a
machine, if need be.)