Decrypting Files Encrypted on Another Machine

Rock Kent rock at rancho.uucp
Fri Apr 7 16:33:47 AEST 1989

I have been unsuccessful in taking files which have been encrypted on
an NCR Tower using crypt(1) and decrypting them on a microport Sys
V/386 system.  I have successfully decrypted the files on the Tower
which were originally encrypted on the Tower.  I have successfully
decrypted the files on the V/386 machine which were originally
encrypted on the V/386 machine.  I believe that one of the following
may be true:

  - something's getting munged up in the transfer . . . not highly
    likely since I'm successfully receiving a compressed batch news
    feed from the same host.
  - I've some critical parameter erroneously set . . . possible, since
    I'm unaware of any parameters.
  - The system V release 3 crypt is different from the release 2 crypt.
  - Microport's crypt is nonstandard.

I would appreciate your comments on the validity of any of the above
or comments on the portability of crypt(1).