Is this a ksh bug?

richard.r.grady..jr r4 at cbnews.ATT.COM
Sat Jul 22 05:07:00 AEST 1989

In article <554 at tijc02.UUCP> djm408 at tijc02.UUCP (David Marks         ) writes:
* Has anybody seen the following behavior in ksh?
*
* Assuming that the current directory is /usr/me (this does not affect the bug)
*
* 1. make a subdirectory of the current directory that contains a colon in it:
*     "mkdir c:"
*
* 2. cd to that directory: "cd c:" Current directory is now /usr/me/c:
*
* 3. make a subdirectory of the current directory: "mkdir xyz"
*
* 4. cd to that directory: "cd xyz"
*
* you should get: "ksh: xyz not found"
*
* However, if you type cd ../c:/xyz you will have your current directory set to
* /usr/me/c:/xyz with no complaints. (".." appears to mean TWO directories up
* in this case!)
*
* Now with your current directory set to /usr/me/c:/xyz type "cd ..".
* Your new current directory is /usr/me! It moved you up TWO directories!
*
* This was done on a VAX8600 running AT&T SYSTEMV Release 2.2 with the
* 11/16/88 ksh. ksh was the login shell and CDPATH was null.
*
* Is this a bug? Or am I missing something in the way ksh deals with CDPATH?
*
* This doesn't happen on our older ksh which was the version of 2/21/85.

I tried this on two systems:

1.   Ksh:      11/16/88
     Unix:     SV Rel 3.1.1
     Hardware: 3B2

     This had the problem.  The "cd" command behaved as in the above message.

2.   Ksh:      06/03/86a
     Unix:     SV Rel 2.0.3a
     Hardware: VAX

     This did not show the problem.  The "cd" command worked normally.