termcap description

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Fri Mar 10 04:41:11 AEST 1989

Can't use his address for mail.  Too bad :-)

In <1471 at umbio.MIAMI.EDU> jhom at umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Joe Homrighausen) writes:
><1571 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, samlb at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) says:
>> 	RTFM 'man 5 termcap'
>
>Is that "Read The Fine Manual" ;-) No kidding? I'm sorry if that's what
>you thought what I asked for. What I needed was a technical description
>of each entry and all the "acronyms" in there -- I know _what_ the
>termcap is.

Hope you brought a fire-blanket, because those less gentle than I
(and if you've never seen me post to talk.politics.misc, you've missed
hyperbole that would shock Hulk Hogan and the Road Warriors) are going
to flame you like there's no weemba.

Section 5 of the manual deals with description of the format of system-
installed files; it delineates syntax and semantics for everything from
binaries such as the standard 'a.out' to manual pages themselves.

The section that keeps popping up when you do 'man termcap' (note the
absence of '5') is the page from section 3, the program-embeddable
routines that pull termcap entries apart to be used for screen function.

Seriously:  type "man 5 termcap" and look down a screenful or two,
and you'll see a big table of stuff just like you need.  If you don't,
someone has ripped you off by giving you a useless copy of section 5
of the manual.

				--Blair
				  "...or a defective brain..."