Can't log in right on console to accounts in CAPS.

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon May 13 07:47:24 AEST 1991

In article <26859 at adm.brl.mil> leisner.henr801c at xerox.com writes:

>Logging in via the console converts everything it prints to CAPS, does
>unexpected things (doesn't change directories right via the passwd file) and
>prints lots of characters with a backslash in front of them.

Others have explained why this happens, but I don't think that anyone
mentioned that you can fix it after the fact with appropriate incantations
to stty.  Under sysV, putting "stty -iuclc -olcuc -xcase" in your .profile
will take care of things even if you logged in in uppercase accidentally.
I trust SunOS has equivalents.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us