Mail Redirection

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Mon May 20 05:53:43 AEST 1991

> Thanks to the many who answered my question about mail forwarding
> The almost unanimous consensus was cretaing a file  .forward
> with the foorwarding address in it. Despite the fact that no
> man exists for it (an SGI running IRIX)

Did you try reading SENDMAIL(1M) (I'm assuming that since IRIX is
S5-flavored, the "sendmail" man page would be in section 1M; if it's not
there, try looking in other sections)?

(BTW, most of the replies seemed to assume that you were running a mail
system that supported ".forward"; "sendmail" does, and some others may
as well, but I don't think they *all* do.  You happened to, in fact, be
running one that did, but if you weren't, all the ".forward" advice
would have been for naught.

Another reply assumed you were running a system where "mail -F" would
start forwarding up; that's an S5ism, and, while IRIX may support it,
not *all* UNIX systems do.)