Do you use find command?

Mary Hsia-Coron maryhc at hpcc01.HP.COM
Fri May 17 07:18:28 AEST 1991

Do you use the -print and -depth options with the find command?

-print option:
--------------
All the manual pages I've read recommend using -print to display
output from find. I've found that -print is unnecessary
on my HP-UX systems (7.0 HP-UX and later releases). For example,
              find / -user pat
works fine.

Question:
---------
On your UNIX system, must -print be used to display the results of
find? (Please state what flavor of UNIX you have: ULTRIX, SUN, ZENIX, etc.)

-depth option:
--------------
The AT&T System V manual pages say that when find is used with cpio,
-depth should be used to list files in directories without write
permission. For example:
       find / -name report -depth | cpio -ov > /dev/rmt/0h

On HP-UX systems, find will list files in directories without write
permission even when -depth is NOT used.

Question:
---------
On your UNIX system, must find be used with -depth when piping to cpio?
(Please state what flavor of UNIX you have: ULTRIX, SUN, ZENIX, etc.)

I'm documenting use of find on UNIX systems IN GENERAL and want to make the
right recommendations about whether to use -print and -depth. I was going
to recommend that both options not be used.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Mary Hsia-Coron
Hewlett-Packard Customer Training
mary at hpasdd.hp.com