Help on Dev Driver

CARY LEWIS cary.lewis at rose.uucp
Wed May 15 07:21:00 AEST 1991

TO:ALL

I want to add a third serial port to my new unix machine. I am
running SCO unix 3.2. The documentation states that when I run mkdev
serial I will be given a list of IO address, and interrupt numbers if
I hit 'h' when asked if I'm installing com1, com2, com3, or com4.

Of course mkdev serial does NOT do this. I think I have to link in a
new serial io routine into the kernel. The only difference between
this new one and the two exiting ones will be interrupt number.

Does anyone know how to do this, or which manuals provide the
necessary info?

I have found some stuff under /etc/conf but don't have a clue as to
how to modify the source files to get the kernel to handle a third
serial device. Even the device driver manual is not much help. Surely
there must be a way to do this.

Any help will be appreciated. I'll post a succint answer if I receive
enough info.
---
 %c #67sa