286 -> 386sx Upgrades

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Fri Oct 19 10:56:10 AEST 1990

rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>(The solution was to get a new case *and* power supply!  Effectively the
>upgrade has become a way to re-use existing peripherals.  But, *if* there
>had been a usable CPU-only upgrade, it would have been more attractive.)
>
>I'm sure these aren't the only things that can thwart a motherboard swap,
>but they're certainly enough.

If you have anything that may be remotely proprietary then you're better
investment is a barebones system upgrade.  Major IBM compatable vendors have a
habit of using proprietary motherboard form factors and power supplies.  If
you started out with a generic system that is compatable then you can safely
bet that you can upgrade the motherboard with a generic 386 or whatever that
fits the same motherboard form factor.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca