Trouble with hanging virtual terminals

Tom Reingold tr at samadams.princeton.edu
Wed Oct 24 01:38:14 AEST 1990

I have trouble with virtual terminals in AT&T Unix.  Typing "uname -a"
gives me "humsa humsa 3.2 2.2 i386".

When I am doing a "cu", the terminal often hangs, accepting neither
input nor output.  I can't switch to other virtual terminals.  The only
thing I can do is log in from an external terminal and kill all
processes on the hung virtual terminal, which can be very time
consuming to restart.

I am trying to reproduce it, but it's hard.  I think it generally
happens when I hit ctrl-c to stop output.  Ctrl-c is my interrupt
character on both the remote and local hosts.

Sometimes, things get even worse.  In all other virtual terminals where
I am *not* running a "cu", the keyboard is in a mode where it thinks I
have the control key held down.  I have to hit 'd' (which it thinks is
ctrl-d) to exit the virtual terminal.

Any clues?
--
        Tom Reingold