ESIX vs AT&T documentation

1593] ucmpme at swuts.swbt.com
Sat Oct 20 21:35:13 AEST 1990

In article <524 at swuts.swbt.com>, ucmpme at swuts.swbt.com (1593]) writes:

> I have ESIX 3.2, Rev. D.
>

> I may eventually have to buy TFM, but before I do that, I'd like the
> opinions of those of you who have it.
>
> Does ESIX documentation vary greatly from AT&T System V/386?
>

> All I want is a simple non-graphics intensive cyan on blue screen, so I
> can get on with exploring UNIX.  (White on Black... :^(  )
>
> (I'd also like to be able to format a 5 1/4 floppy.....
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Please help, if you can.

I apologize for following up my own posting, but I didn't want
to reduce my chances of getting help by appearing to be a complete
idiot.  (I may *be* a complete idiot, I just don't want to appear so)

The manuals I have are ESIX 386 Release Notes, Operations/System
Administrator's Guide, and ESIX Release Notes.

They *do* show explicitly how to format floppies.

In truth, they probably have given me all the information I need
to achieve the simple color scheme I want, but they've given it
assuming **much** more knowledge than I have at this point.

The section on the display(7) goes on for several pages describing
escape sequences for screen and cursor control.  But they assume I
know what to do with this information.  Same thing with ioctl calls
for display modes of various video adapters.

I'm willing to dig, but a hint as to where would help.

I guess no one expects a rank beginner to buy and tackle the
mastering of UNIX. :^)

Thanks, again for your forbearance.
--
    M. E. Evans