ESIX vs AT&T documentation

1593] ucmpme at swuts.swbt.com
Sat Oct 20 04:41:06 AEST 1990

I have ESIX 3.2, Rev. D.

I have access to System V documentation here at work, and not much
money, so I didn't buy the documentation.  The system comes with
release notes, and an operations/system administration manual, that
hints at capability, and refers the reader to various other volumes
in the documentation.

I may eventually have to buy TFM, but before I do that, I'd like the
opinions of those of you who have it.

Does ESIX documentation vary greatly from AT&T System V/386?

I'm interested mainly in what ESIX calls the User's/System Administrator's
Reference Manual?  Some of the procedures briefly described in the
Operations/Sys.Admin manual refer to this manual.  Also, AT&T has
a document named exactly the same.  Further, when I read the catalog blurb
on AT&T's O/S.A, it seems to be the same as the volume of the same
name that I got with ESIX, in terms of what it does.

Now the reason for the question is that I have priced the stuff....
ESIX wants $99 dollars (U.S.) for one volume.  The set sells for $319.
In AT$T's catalog, the like-named manual sells for $35.06.

All I want is a simple non-graphics intensive cyan on blue screen, so I
can get on with exploring UNIX.  (White on Black... :^(  )

(I'd also like to be able to format a 5 1/4 floppy.....

Please help, if you can.

Thanks.  I've learned a lot from you folks.
--
    M. E. Evans
    UUCP:  swuts!ucmpme or swbatl!evans