4 Port Serial Boards

Jeffrey K. Johnson jeff at marichal.austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 9 02:11:28 AEST 1990

In <1990Oct5.213445.6176 at sdgsun.uucp> paul at sdgsun.uucp (Paul Emerson) writes:

>I would like to run the FAS driver on a four port card.  Does anyone have
>a source for an inexpensive four port card that:
>
> 1) Allows all ports to use a single interrupt
> 2) Uses 16550 UARTS or has socketed 16450
> 3) Uses DB-25 connectors
> 4) Priced at $300 or less
>
>I could hack a board that has 16450's sodered on, so this isn't
>a show stopper.  I could also live without DB-25s, RJ-45 would do.
>I will use this board for a personal system so quanity one pricing is
>what I am interested in obtaining.

I just bought an AST-Four Port/DOS card from ACP (800 FONE ACP or 800
366 3227) for $99 + $7.50 S/H.  FAS has everything you need to make this
card work.  It comes with 4 socketed 16450 or equivalent UARTs.  Mine
came with 82450s which are also supported by FAS.  The documentation
clearly states that it uses 16450s.  I replaced one of the UARTs with a
16550AN and it works great.  All four ports share the same IRQ (2-7).

On the downside: it is a dumb card, so you will lose some cpu cycles
serving it more often that an intelligent serial port card.  If you boot
DOS, the card won't work as COM1 and COM2 when it is configured for
Unix.  It should work under VPix though I haven't tried it.

Advanced Computer Products
1310 E. Edlinger
Santa Ana, CA  92705
800 FONE ACP
800 366 3227
714 558 8813
714 558 1603 FAX (24hrs)

I called AST Tech Support to find out the difference between the Four
Port/DOS and Four Port/XN and their current Four Port/AT+ and they told
me it was only software.  I called up their BBS and downloaded the new
DOS drivers.

I have no connection with ACP or AST other than a satisfied customer.

--
Jeff Johnson			10926 Jollyville Rd #1420
Computer Consultant		Austin, TX  78759  (512) 343 0675