Communications and other questions.

2flmlife at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu 2flmlife at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Oct 26 09:51:12 AEST 1990

	When I got my 6386 WGS I did some fenagling withsome people at AT&T and
got a hold of System V/386 3.2.2.  But there was a small catch, I couldn't get
the documentation, I was directed toward the Prentice Hall books, but being a
poor student, I have not had the opportunity to purchase them.
	Well sysadmining your own home unix box is a complicated matter.  But
while I am saving up for the Documentation...I would love to play a little on
my modem.  All I have available in the way of a term program right now is uucp.
I thought I would try calling up a couple of the local boards, and see if I
could get my modem to work.  So I set up my device ACU...  And a  System file
for the board I was calling...   Well as far as I can tell that is all correct,
but I am getting an error message that says "no devices available".  So maybe
it isn't set up so well.  I have the thing defined as tty00 with Hayes 2400, I
was helped along some with the syntax and all by FACE.   Is there something
I have left to do?  Do I have to do something else to tell unix it is there?

	Okay, other things I would like to know are... If I am buying the
Prentice Hall books one at a time, which is the most importatnt to start with?
What is the best secondary source for Unix information?  What ftp locations
have PD, freeware, or shareware unix programs?  Is there a publicly available
terminal program that would provide an easier interface than uucp?

	Any help on my device problem would be equally appreciated.   As well
as information about setting up bits, stopbits, duplex, and terminal emulation.
(I think to change the terminal emulation all I have to do is enter "term=???"
am I right on this.

	I hope someone out there can lend me a hand on this.  I would sure
appreciate it.

Stephen R. Figgins
University of Kansas
2flmlife at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu