Shrinking the size of your executables (mcs(1) command)

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Oct 31 07:30:25 AEST 1990

karl at sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:

>mcs, a poorly named command IMO, can get rid of those guys.  "mcs -d" on
>one of my tasks reduced the size from 98K to 89K bytes.  I recommend putting
>a "mcs -d" in your makefiles right after the "strip", where relevant...

	One of our binaries benefited even more. That curses-based program
shrank from ~195k to ~150k. I came upon this gem while rummaging through
Interactive's software integration routines. Size-wise, I've seen no
difference between running "mcs -d" first then stripping, or the reverse.