Installing Open Desktop

Wade Shen swade at ocf.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 10 04:59:56 AEST 1990

For the past few days I've been frntically trying to install SCO's Open Desktop
on a machine at my workplace...

IT DOESN'T WANT TO INSTALL!

Here are a series of problems. I hope that someone out there will be able to
help.

	1. When I was asked to insert the N4 floppy I got the folowing:
		"NOTICE: SALLOC04 out of inodes"
	   This seems strange to me because I had set up the unix partition
	   With over 100 megs..
	2. I get tar extraction errors and lists of files that can't link
	   themselves tmp. (the files vary from installation to installation
	3. Sometimes I get a "wrong volume" message  after these errors occur
	   even when the correct volume is in the drive
	4. I get periodic errors after the HD is initialized which throw me
	   into a shell with a prompt of "<installation>" at which point
	   I can do nothing.
	5. many times I get the following message: "/bin/-sh : can't make pipe"
	   (it isn't always /bin/-sh sometimes its /etc/labelinstall)
	6. Strangly enough SCO Unix System V installs and runs properly but
	   I can't seem to be able to get ODT to install anything beyond the
	   runtime system. (most of the time I can't even get to that point)

Could it be that my disks are bad (I'm installing from the originals)?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated

Thank You