Getting smail with ISC 2.2 to work

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Thu Oct 25 04:17:57 AEST 1990

In article <32 at opel.COM> johnk at opel.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>In article <289 at cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff at cadlab.sublink.ORG (staff) writes:
>[Description of binary search deleted]
>
>I can concur with the binary search problem.  I got around it by moving
>"smart-host" away from the end of the file.  Still no great solution,
>but...
>
>I had given up on getting smail from ISC or smail 2.5 from uunet to
>work with smartmail.  It's encouraging to see so many other failures :-).
>
>I seem to remember my problem being one of recursively invoking the
>remote mailer, with local mail never landing.
>
>Has anyone actually got this combination to work under ISC 2.2?  Maybe
>we could use some clues.
>
>--
>John Kennedy                     johnk at opel.COM
>Second Source, Inc.
>Annapolis, MD

I had it working for a little while, about 2 weeks or so, then moved
to smail3.  It is so much easier to use and maintain.  I don't remeber
exactly what I did to make it work.  I think I remeber hearing on the
net to not do an upgrade from the isc 2.2 disks, but to do a
completely new install.  If you did an upgrade maybe something got
hosed in the works.

Jim

--

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!jadpc!jdeitch at nosc.mil
INET: jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com