Does Dell ship manuals with SVR4?

Dave McCracken dcm at baldur.dell.com
Fri Apr 5 00:47:52 AEST 1991

>>Dell ships on-line man pages with every copy of SVR4.   Dell does not
>>ship a complete paper doc set with every copy.  We have quite a few
>>customers that have multiple UNIX licenses and only want to kill one
>>manual set worth of trees for the site, and also do not want to have to
>>pay for all of those extra manuals.  Others do not want the paper docs
>>at all if they are available on-line.  [...]

>Does this mean that *all* of the paper docs are also available online,
>not just the man pages?

No, you only get the man pages online.  The online version of the other
manuals, along with the *roff source for the man pages, are only available
as part of the source license and we can't ship them as part of the binary
license.

The bottom line on the paper manuals is that we can't produce and/or sell
them for any less money than AT&T or Prentice-Hall.  If we shipped them
with every license, our prices would be several hundred dollars higher.
When the price is only $995, that is a substantial increase.
--
Dave McCracken      dcm at dell.dell.com      (512) 343-3720
Dell Computer       9505 Arboretum Blvd    Austin, TX 78759-7299