Unattributed statements

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Fri Apr 19 09:55:14 AEST 1991

larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> I was told that they (SCO) are the standard and that they (again SCO)
> will decide what will be the operating system of choice in the future.

The obvious cheap-shot follow-on to what Larry writes is something like
"Yeah, heaven forfend that any user should influence the decision of what
will be the operating system of choice in the future!"

But wait!  (We have been told that the passive voice is to be avoided.)
Before attacking SCO on that one, let us ask:  WHO told you that SCO
thinks they call the shots?  Is this someone actually speaking for SCO, or
someone from SCO off the record...or is it someone on the outside, making
a cynical observation (or a guess) about their attitude?

and in another message:
>...Talk about service - heck - I know of others still waiting
> on their security fix from ISC..

Well, that's interesting but what does it really mean?  Why are they still
waiting, when the fixes were shipped so many weeks ago?  If you're saying
that the fix was requested and not received, then the person who is missing
the fix should be talking or sending email to ISC to find out what happened;
the intent is that anyone who needed the fix should have it by now.

Vendors *do* screw up, and when they do, you should hold their feet to the
fire.  But the complaints ought to be things the vendors can respond to,
not "I heard this..." rumors.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.