Unattributed statements

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Tue Apr 23 12:01:16 AEST 1991

>and in another message:
>>...Talk about service - heck - I know of others still waiting
>> on their security fix from ISC..
>
>Well, that's interesting but what does it really mean?  Why are they still
>waiting, when the fixes were shipped so many weeks ago?  If you're saying
>that the fix was requested and not received, then the person who is missing
>the fix should be talking or sending email to ISC to find out what happened;
>the intent is that anyone who needed the fix should have it by now.
>
>Vendors *do* screw up, and when they do, you should hold their feet to the
>fire.  But the complaints ought to be things the vendors can respond to,
>not "I heard this..." rumors.

This sure looks like twisting someones words to me.  You just turned
an "I know others ...", into an "I heard this ...".

Some real, solid data here would certainly be helpful.  But in this
discussion oriented Usenet newsgroup, the above hearsay has meaning to
many of us.  We know not to bank on it, but it fits in quite well with
the general picture we have formed due to a steady flow of similar
postings.

ISC may be becoming more responsive.  But they were SO bad before that
I don't think anyone expects them to change over night -- the prevailing
hearsay seems to support that.

As a counter example; There is evidence that Dell is setting a new
standard that ISC will, most likely, never even attempt to attain.

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com