Saber-C for 386 unix

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU
Mon Apr 8 04:00:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr7.002207.11554 at emisle.uucp> emisle!dvb writes:

>I have recently had the opportunity to use a product called Saber-C, on a MIPS
>workstation (DEC 3100). This is a tremendous product. It combines dbx-style
>debugging with a better debugging engine and quick re-making, re-linking
>and testing. The debugger provides a tremendous level of checking, warnings
>about subtle bugs, and is the best c-development system for unix I have ever
>seen. Does anyone know if this product is available on 386-unix, or if there
>is some similar product for that platform. ISC or SCO preferred.

I have been using Saber C to write my thesis code for almost a year by now.
And I do have a 386 ESIX box with all sorts of GNU goodies on it.  But like
David said, in comparision to Saber, anything else, even MS C or Turbo C,
or for that matter, Mac Lightspeed C, pale. (of course, pardon my bias if you
would).

Of course, as you may guess, I like it very much and I have asked Saber Softwarea few times about the availability on 386 UNIX plateforms.  The standard answer
from Saber Software is "we will do a marketing feasibility study" or answers
along that line.

That's TOOO SAD!  Because it's fabulous!  However, as it is now, it's a memory
hog too.  So 8 megs memory are just sufficient to get by -> swapping swapping.

And owing to the fact that it's a interpretor, it's slow so running large
module is not desirable in the Saber environment.  However, it provides enough
ways to enable you NOT to do such.

Support is also good, very responsive and knowledgeable in both e-mail and
800 toll free forms.  For small problems, immediate turn arounds are common
in my experience.  It's a souce of inspiration to the xgdb attachment to
FSF's gdb (note: xgdb itself is not part of FSF's effort)

It also has ability to handle C++ fully too.  An indeed tremendous product.
NOT cheap however even with eucational discount.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin at leland.stanford.edu