Floppy Tape problems

Bob Barker barker at wd0gol.WD0GOL.MN.ORG
Wed Apr 24 00:51:25 AEST 1991

I recently installed an Irwin 80 meg floppy tape drive on an IBM PS/2
model 70 under Interactive Unix 2.2.1 and having some problems.  Supposedly
this drive is supported by Interactive with their floppy tape driver.

The drive works up to a point.  I can write/read small amounts of data
to/from it, but trying to create a back-up of any length results in the
following message on the console:

	NOTICE: Data Transfer Ready
	Unit 0, RBA xxxxxx

where xxxxxx is a number that's different each time the error occurs
but is always at least 5 digits long.  Once the error occurs, the system
locks up and nothing short of a power down/up brings it back to life.

I've tried accessing the drive via both the floppy tape interface (ftape)
and my normal "find . -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/ftape" and the results
are the same.

The only other peripheral on the system is a Digiboard MC/8i multiport
board which has worked fine all along.

If anybody has any info that might help me figure out what's happening
here, I would appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks!

-Bob