Emacs 18.57, ISC 2.2.1, continued...

leo at aai.com leo at aai.com
Fri Apr 12 05:11:31 AEST 1991

b2676870 at rick.cs.ubc.ca (wilson w ma) writes:

>I encountered a very similar problem with that particular message but I
>noticed something else when I put in a #define HAVE_SELECT.  At that point,
>Emacs had no problems coming up but none of the shells would work properly.
>If I ran the TeX-shell, it would run TeX but the shell did not terminate TeX
>completely and I would have to kill the shell before running TeX again.  I
>think I have resolved the problem, but I would like to know if you have
>encountered any similar problems, what you did to resolve them and why those
>problems occurred (I personally fiddled around with the PTY stuff).  I have
>not had the time to research the source enough to formulate the proper reasons
>why it works now.  Perhaps you have been enlightened more than I have ;)

I had some problems with shells too.  It turns out that they were caused by
entries in my .cshrc file that were inappropriate for subshells.  I added
	if ( $?prompt == 0 ) exit
to the top of .cshrc (just after setting the path) and my subshells work
fine now.  I did nothing special with pty's except for enabling the max
number in sysadm.

There are still some problems remaining...

Although the shells function properly, there seems to be a problem with the
output from the subshell getting flushed back to emacs.  When I'm running a
make I often don't see any output after the make command is echoed until
it's finished.  If I hit any key in the buffer, the screen is updated and I
can then see the intermediate output.

I included xmenu support (Control,Shift,middle mouse button).  There are a
number of menu entries, like "list all keystroke commands", that cause
emacs AND the parent window it was detached from to crash.

Has anyone solved these problems?  Are they specific to ISC, or do you see
the same thing on SCO, ESIX, and Microport?

Thanks for any info!
--
Leo	leo at aai.com   leo%aai at uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo